Back to Article List
The Best Gifts for Seniors with Alzheimer’s
Nov 30, 2018 by Larry Morgan
Holidays are always considered as happy times, but they can also turn out to be quite stressful if you are caring for a loved one who has Alzheimer’s disease. However, most of the stress can be alleviated if people have access to the right kind of information and perform the right sort of activities to keep their loved one happy. There is no cure for Alzheimer’s disease yet, but there is a strong evidence that the appropriate kind of stimulation can do wonders in helping improve the brain function. So, what makes for a good gift for a person with Alzheimer’s disease? It depends on the stage of progression of the condition. So, here are some ideas for gifts for people with Alzheimer’s based on the stage of the condition:
- Photo Albums: The best possible gift for a person with Alzheimer’s is definitely a photo album storing all their beautiful memories spent with their loved ones. You should also spend time with the person perusing these photos and memories which may lead to some interesting conversations.
- Simple board games: Often, a person with Alzheimer’s can find it quite difficult to understand the rules of a complex game, for example, Othello or Scotland Yard and also it becomes extremely frustrating for a person to explain the rules. Keep the choice of board games as simple as possible – for example, Snakes and Ladders, Dominoes etc.
- Shoes with Velcro Straps: Most people consider tying shoelaces as a basic task, but a person with Alzheimer’s finds it quite difficult to remember the steps involved and they often lack the finger dexterity to perform such an otherwise basic task. Velcro straps on shoes help such a person to tighten their shoes.
- Colouring books: These kinds of books help in unleashing the creativity of a person, and holding a crayon also assists in maintaining the motor skills and dexterity of a person.
- Something handmade: Everyone loves handmade gifts, people with Alzheimer’s are no different. Handmade gifts help the person associate these gifts with memories of the presenter and thus help in making the memories stronger.
- Company and Time: Most recommended by doctors ever, this is the best gift that any person can gift someone. It is the simplest thing to do and is also the most appreciated.
- Location Devices: The most important gift for a person with Alzheimer’s. It is a common scenario for Alzheimer’s patients to become disoriented and wander off somewhere. Location trackers help you find them and also keep a constant eye on their whereabouts.
- Music and CDs: Music or compositions from the formative years of a person suffering from Alzheimer’s are often one of the best gifts you can gift them. Music has been found to have a profound effect on people with Alzheimer’s and has become an integral part of dementia and Alzheimer’s care.
- Adaptive clothing: As the disease progresses, basic tasks like buttoning the shirt or tying the shoelaces become very difficult to remember. Adaptive clothing like open back shirts or shoes with Velcro straps make these tasks much easier.
Purchasing gifts can be quite thoughtful and creative if done with the right mindset. Borrow any of these recommendations or find something of your own, but make sure that you give a proper thought into purchasing the gifts.